Tuesday, January 11, 2011

Heart Attack... almost

I went to the pharmacy today to pick up my prescription refills, and the pharmacist told me that my nighttime pain meds hadn't come in.  Of course, the dosage was recently increased, and I told them that it must be the case that the doctor had forgotten to call in the change.  Easy mistake, easy to fix.

So the lady went to check, then came back and told me my insurance wouldn't pay for the medication anymore. 

Well, I almost broke down right there.  These are pretty necessary pills, you see, as my doctor has stressed to me how awful it would be to stop them all.  But I decided to see the damage first, and asked the cost without insurance.

The lady rang it up, which took quite a long while, then said, "Thirty-eight dollars."

Well, it obviously could have been much worse.  So I said, "I'd like to buy it please."

"Your insurance won't pay."

"Yes, I know."  Perhaps a little too overtly annoyed, but I tried anyway. "But this is a pain medication.  May I buy it?"

Then she disappeared again to look at the computer.  When she finally came back she told me, "No.  You can't buy."

She must have noticed my confusion, for she added, "It is too soon to refill prescription."

How irritating!  I was really angry, but also relieved.  So I just told her I'd call the doctor to have her call in the increased dosage.

But honestly, they should be more careful about that sort of thing.  There's really no reason my insurance wouldn't pay a large portion of it, especially since I've got the two.  But they can be right bastards sometimes, can't they?

Taking a big gulp of air.

No comments:

Post a Comment