Friday, October 2, 2009

Where did my modesty go?

It just feels like, at this point, all the modesty I once had has flown the coop. Seriously. Three years ago I would have felt insanely awkward being topless beneath a blanket in a room with a strange man- but massage therapy is really different based on the gender of your MT. At least, that has been my experience. I didn't realize I'd scheduled with a man at first- but it didn't matter much after the fact, right? I was already in there, so I was gonna go through with the massage.

I felt a little awkward, I guess, but he's a health care professional. At least that's what I kept telling myself.

Anyway, the massage was a lot different than those I've had in the past. I think that the reason is because the MT was a man (is a man... I'm seeing the same fellow again on Wednesday). The women MT's seemed much gentler, like you were poked a bit but not much really happened. With this guy, everything was painful and it has been hurting a lot since. But he really sounded like he knew what he was talking about- realigning my muscles and overcoming muscle memory and all that. He really seemed to think that he could make the pain go away after a few more sessions.

Probably too optimistic, but anyway, this post is meant to be about a loss of modesty.

I got a gift certificate to go to a spa for a massage treatment and some sort of full-body facial-type thing, which I went to last month. They had all these modesty protectors in place- a robe to wear most of the time, throw-away panties to wear in the shower, a zillion towels, and I was like "Shoot, girl, t'ain't got nutin' you ain't seen a zillion times befoah!"

Which may mean I could go in for a bikini wax and not mind- though I've been afraid and never gone before. Hrm.

I used to be so afraid of being nude in front of people I didn't know! Like, people never took showers in gym when I was in school! I can only guess that being semi-naked in front of MTS, PTS, MDs, etc. so often has lowered my inhibitions.

Not sure if that's a good thing or a bad thing.....

No comments:

Post a Comment