Thursday, October 29, 2009

Chiropractic..... No!!!

Curses! Oh cruelest and coldest of days! Oh, sweet lament and terror! Damn damn AND damn!

ahem...

So, I am told that I really ought to do Chiropractic. As you may have already gleamed from the above (^), I'm not 100% thrilled about the prospect. Not 1% thrilled either. I have heard such awful things about chiropractic (and it's hard to spell to boot!). Word on the street is the CT (chiropractic therapist?... well, I'm sure as hell not spelling out chiropractor every single time!) makes you dependent on his/er services. So that you can't ever feel good again if you quit! This does not sound like a place I want to be!

But my MT says that if I want my muscles to get "reprogrammed" (I'm a computer now?), I must have my joints reprogrammed as well. According to him, one of my shoulders juts forward a bit more than the other, which contributes to my muscle pain. I wonder, though, because one of my PTs (phys therapist not phys trainer) forgot that I had been hit by the semi once and that that was the cause of my pain, and he started going on about how my lousy posture was to blame for the pain. As opposed to the pain being the cause of my lousy posture. So, I'm not sure if my MT forgot as well. I have a sneaking suspicion that he did.

I shouldn't be so closed minded about chiropractic. I mean, I had to look it up on Wikipedia to know that it wasn't chiropractry. My spell check just went crazy. Anyway, that must be a pretty good indication that I don't know much, and really, what do all seven hundred people I've consulted about chiropractic know anyway? Ha...

So, let's visit his website. It is on his business card. It is Bothell Chiropractic and is apparently really ridiculously close to my MT. And uses the exact same logo as my former PT. Coincidence? I think not.

He has a "Dr" title on his business card. Let's see what it's in. Hm, the site about him is conveniently "under construction." Will assume his doctorate is in Germanic Folklore and he knows nothing about limbs whatever. Except my happy pills won't let me be pessimistic.

Okay. What else does it tell us? Oooh, they used a metaphor. I love metaphors:

"Chiropractic care is like building a house – certain things have to happen in a particular order in order for everything to stand strong and work correctly. When building a house, if you tried to put up your walls before you had a solid foundation, your walls would be weak and eventually collapse. If you tried to put on your roof before the walls were ready, you would run into the same problem. The same is true for your body. Your body has to go through a particular plan of care in order to repair itself correctly and fully. There are three general phases of chiropractic care . . ."

Well, I probably will need to call tomorrow. Which means I really, really need to call the lawyer too (at some point, I really will blog about my lawsuit, I promise!). I wonder how I can put the herbal remedies on the "bill"?

Anyway, with chiropractic added to my schedule, that means I will attend the following appointments to manage pain EVERY WEEK:

Tai Chi (45 min)

Qigong (45 min) (as a side note, I heard some people in my office talking about a study involving Qigong as a cure for cancer pain. I'll try to find it and post it here later).

Weights (3 days a week, 45 min)

Massage Therapy (1 hour)

Acupuncture (1 hour)

Psychology- for pain-based depression and pain management techniques (1 hour)

Not including the weights, I already spend 4.5 hrs a week in pain management ness, with weights, it goes up to 6.75, with chiro it will be 7.75! A whole work day's worth of pain management! Plus, I really need to get into some sort of pain support group that actually meets at a time I can go. I should talk with D on Tuesday to see if she's interested (she has rheumatoid arthritis- ow.)

Here's hoping!

No comments:

Post a Comment