Wednesday, January 27, 2010

Starting a Chronic Pain Support Group on Campus

Oy gevalt, this may be a long sort of process. I had expected it to require far fewer students but shan't be dissuaded by adversity! A bit of drama- sorry. Anyway, I am copying the "Starting Your Own Club" guidelines from the UW Bothell Student Life website. Any notes included will be in a different color.

A 5 Step Process

Step 1

Join up with 4 other UW Bothell students who will be the officers in your new club.

So, I guess that means FIVE students total. I can only think of two other students with chronic pain who I could convince to join. It might be best to send something out to the MACS listserv, or perhaps there are guidelines for this sort of thing. Also, there may be staff members interested, so I should check if only students can join clubs or not. I think it would be nicer if it was an open community-- including staff, faculty, and even people from outside the campus. But I suppose it does say "UW Bothell students" and this is only OFFICERS. Maybe rules are different for "plain ol' members" versus officers.

Step 2

Find a full-time faculty or staff member willing to be your advisor.

I'm pretty sure I can find a faculty member... isn't is "adviser"? Misspell? Anyway, a lot of the professors are very interested in disability research and chronic pain is one of those "invisible disabilities" just gaining better lighting in the academia. I can think of two professors I might ask quite easily, though one is out of the country this year... Does the adviser need to be on campus, or can s/he be on sabbatical?

Step 3

Write a Constitution for your Student Organization.

Seems pretty easy. I pretty much do things like this all day at work. Anyway, it would be pretty easy to adopt the policies of a similar group and alter them to fit our needs.

Step 4

Fill out the on-line registration form and submit your Constitution/By-Laws.

This includes creating a website- huzzah for already knowing the code! This part seems easiest of all, so far.

Step 5

After your registration form has been confirmed by the Office of Student life, schedule a student organization orientation with the Coordinator of Student Programs.

Orientation? Ew. I can see people not wanting to go. I wouldn't even want to go. Orientations are so unpleasant. I'd have to convince people with chocolate.


Anyway, that is the plan. I'll be emailing with one of the ladies I spoke with about this all week and will certainly update my blog according to the developments. Also, will seriously try to begin the pain management regimen tomorrow. It was a rough day, so I just want to read and go to bed now!


P: 8

M: 6

No comments:

Post a Comment