Wednesday, September 30, 2009

Magickal Teas

Well, only the one, actually, but it FEELs magical, which is enough for me to break into song and dance. Anyway, as I probably have mentioned, unless I was trying to nobly avoid the subject, I take Vicodin on occasion for pain and a great deal (2-4 pills a day av.) of over-the-counter pain-killers (I think I may be over-hyphening...). Well, I saw my doctor, as you know and about which I have complained at length and the aforementioned liver problem possibility arose and has been haunting me poltergestically for the past few (or has it only been one?) week. So, though I am not hugely into alternative medicines (though I feel I am getting more into it with the Tai Chi, acupuncture, and, now, tea), I looked to see what herbs/teas there might be that help reduce pain.

Now, I must ease your suspicions- I do not work for the company that produces the tea about which I will soon begin to rant. In fact, I applied to work for them, and did not even so much as get called in for an interview. Which is a real shame for them, as I could so wholeheartedly convince people to buy this fantastic tea.

It is called Tranquil Dream and is produced and sold, not at an inconsiderable price, by Teavana (they have one in Alderwood Mall, if you're in the Seattle area). The tea is marketed as helping one to sleep, but has the additional effect of "calm[ing[ your nerves, reliev[ing] aches and pains, and generally relax[ing] your body and mind." It is a bit of stretch to consider that this tea might eliminate all pains, and I do not suggest it does.

The greatness of this tea is in that it does help A LITTLE. When I find my pain gets so bad that I have light or sound sensitivity, the pain begins to radiate, etc., this tea can help bring it back to a more manageable level. This is especially helpful at night because it can ease the ache just enough to allow me to sleep.

I must confess that the taste is awful, at least to me. It is like chamomile mixed with something awful, like crap. I'm sorry to be so blunt, but it doesn't taste good to me at all. Perhaps you will be luckier...

Anywho, three cheers for pain-reducing tea! I have been drinking it for a week now and it continues to help. Huzzah!

No comments:

Post a Comment