Saturday, February 6, 2010

Medication is Confusing

As well you probably know. Well, I'm pretty sure I mentioned going on Cymbalta for pain and pain-related depression (it works to suppress both- hurrah!) a bit ago (I think I recall an entry called "¡Happy Pills!"). Anyway, one of the happy side effects, apparently, is that over the counter pain meds now act differently. My doctor never mentioned this, but it must be true.

You see, I used to take ibuprofen all the time for additional pain relief. Excedrin Migraine looked so fancy but never helped. Ever.

This isn't really a story, so I'm not sure why I set it up that way. Conclusion- now that I'm on Cymbalta, or possibly for another reason, Excedrin Migraine randomly works for the migraine-type pain. Not for the shooting down the arms pain, as far as I know, or the general "can't move" pain, or the straight to my stomach kneeling to the porcelain gods pain, but the migraine pain is pretty awful and this is a nice new solution. Better than Vicodin-- I don't want the stabby man to return!

It could just be that I got immune to the effects of ibuprofen- it never seems to help these days. Can you build up a resistance to that sort of drug? If you don't take another drug for a long time (i.e. acetaminophen- active ingredient in Excedrin), does your resistance decrease (did I word that right?)?

I should probably be more knowledgeable at this point. Anyway, I'm chalking it up to magic.

No comments:

Post a Comment