Friday, August 27, 2010

Trigger Point Injections

So the series of cortisone shots I get are apparently called Trigger Point Injections.  I got them for the second time last week, and will be getting them once a month for the time being.  This is in addition to the PT (by the by, my PT says that cardio workouts are supposed to be the best thing for neck pain because cortisol, which causes pain, is destroyed-- which really doesn't explain my aching neck every evening but nonetheless), is meant to "cure" me.  I have more faith in the therapy dog (his name is Mogul, by the way).

I wonder if I can ask specifically to do some therapy with the dog.  That would be awesome.  I love animal assisted therapy.  I truly believe that my cats help me more than anything else, if only because they relieve stress.  Wah, who doesn't love the kitties! <3

Anyway, I looked up trigger point injections, and they, along with PT and massage, seem to be the primary treatment for "myofascial pain syndrome".

Here is the description from Healthcommunities.com:

Trigger point injection (TPI) is used to treat extremely painful areas of muscle. Normal muscle contracts and relaxes when it is active. A trigger point is a knot or tight, ropy band of muscle that forms when muscle fails to relax. The knot often can be felt under the skin and may twitch involuntarily when touched (called a jump sign).

The trigger point can trap or irritate surrounding nerves and cause referred pain — pain felt in another part of the body. Scar tissue, loss of range of motion, and weakness may develop over time.

TPI is used to alleviate myofascial pain syndrome (chronic pain involving tissue that surrounds muscle) that does not respond to other treatment, although there is some debate over its effectiveness. Many muscle groups, especially those in the arms, legs, lower back, and neck, are treated by this method. TPI also can be used to treat Fibromyalgia and tension headaches.

--

Anyway, it isn't supposed to hurt :(  Now I feel terrible for feeling terrible.  But anyway, it did hurt quite a bit in certain areas, and not at all in other areas.  Well, I can vouch for its temporary effectiveness.  Only lasts about three weeks, but the pain is definitely decreased.  Hrm.

No comments:

Post a Comment