Tuesday, July 27, 2010

empathy

I've been thinking a lot about CNCPers (yes, yes, I am trying not to say "chronic pain sufferers" because it is too non-secular (or is it not secular enough?).  I really enjoy using the term "sufferer" because I associate with dukkha-- life is suffering.  I wrote a paper on the benefits of pain for reaching nirvana after all, even if I didn't buy into it at the time.

Quite the tangent...

So, I was told today that I am stressing far too much about things that aren't really my problem-- trying to fix the problems of all those around me.  I'm not sure if it's true for me, but I started applying the idea to other CNCPers (Chronic Non-Cancer Pain... ers... I didn't want to say patients!).  It's really interesting to see the degree to which others bend over backwards to help relative strangers.  I wonder if there are any studies on CNCPers and empathy.

Which is why I tend to lean towards annoyance with regard to House, M.D.  Though I enjoy the show, I just wonder why they didn't decide to make a character with chronic pain more compassionate towards the pain of his patients.  I remember an episode where a patient literally dies from pain (how dramatic!) and House remains callous, at least externally.  

I need to print out some articles on empathy.  Oh, it is a tangent-y time.  Strange how this blog also acts as a chronicle of medication side effects.  I think my nighttime pills have already started working quite beautifully, bringing me to loopy joy. 

No comments:

Post a Comment